It’s Not All About Wal-Mart at The First Show Of The Season

19 Jun

First show of the season!

As I type this, some of the DCI staff and I are in the midle of the three hour car ride from Dallas/Ft. Worth to ROund ROck, Texas (by Austin) for the second show of the season, DCI Austin.

Last night, in Saginaw, Texas, the drum corps season kicked off, in a big way.

During the late morning/early afternoon, Jeff and I had to set up the camera and stuff to capture the VOD’s of the show. As you all know, it is not all about Wal-Mart, setup was a pain. The camera had to be setup in the judges area, which was the only outside place in the pressbox. After running hundreds of yards of cables, we were finally set up for the show.

I reallly didn’t care about laying all the cable, because at least we were in the AC. I know it is Texas, but it was wicked hot outside. The thermometer in the car topped out at 104-degrees yesterday.The wind was whipping around as well, blowing hard all day. It was a hot wind, so on top of the heat, it was like an oven on the field.

After lunch, we stopped to watch the last of SCV’s ensemble block before the show. Jeff had a GoPro camera, so we attached it to the center tenor for the rest of rehearsal. During the run-through, we attached it to a snare drum, and I got footage of the battery from the sideline. Pretty awesome experience.

Around 5:30, I headed out to the lot to get some lot shots for a montage on ‘Opening Day’ in the drum corps season. Once Phantom got on to the field, being the third corps on, I went to sideline and started getting some sideline footage. It was amazing being on the sideline during those shows. I wasn’t able to pay attention to the show as much, but I was able to practice shooting, using less auto-focus and more manual-focus. I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I got some pretty damn good footage (but we will see once I import everything).

After the Blue Devils went on (20 minutes late because there was too much wind), I started to break down. After the show, the wind really started to whip around. It was gusting around 40 m.p.h. The lights at the stadium were sway a good 2 to 3 feet to either side. It was an adventure taking down all the tents with all the wind. At midnight, everything was finally broken down. After a quick shower, everyone met up in the lobby to hang out. We ended getting 5 pizzas from Dominos around 12:30. It was nice hanging out with everyone and unwinding.

So all-in-all, the first show of the season was a success! Every corps came out strong, and the event went off without a hitch, even with the rain and wind. I am hoping everything stays calm. I have a bunch of videos to edit for this weekend. I am going to post all the videos I make either on Facebook on here, or on Facebook and Twitter.

Peace out from the flat-state of Texas.

Leave a comment

Posted by on June 19, 2011 in DCI Internship


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: