DCI Austin

20 Jun

Yesterday, the second event of the Drum Corps International season was held in Round Rock, Texas, which is just outside of Austin. And although things were kind of rough in the morning, it all worked out in the end.

The day started with the three-hour car ride from Dallas to Austin. Going through the middle of Texas, there was nothing. Just bare farmland with an occasional town. Before going to the hotel we stopped by the stadium. The GPS took us on a weird route from the highway, so it took a while. After a quick look at the stadium, we took the trek to the hotel, which was a good half-hour away from the stadium.

When we got to the hotel, there weren’t any doubles available. After talking to the guy at the front desk, who wasn’t the nicest person in the world, some people were able to get rooms switched to singles, so the people without rooms had a place to put their stuff. After that, we were able to get a quick lunch, and head back to the stadium to set up the show.

The set up part was easy for us this show. Tom Blair, who runs his own production company, was there to film the show for the DCI theaters (which everyone should go to: We didn’t have to set up a camera, run cable, or any of that. I was able to throw together some of the stuff that I had shot yesterday, and get that ready for upload. And before I knew it, the show had started.

The Blue Devils were up first, while the sun was in the sky. It was very weird seeing them on the field when the sun was out to say the least. After the Cavaliers and Bluecoats went on, I went to get some footage of the production crew doing their jobs in the press box and on the field. After intermission, I went into the TV truck while Jeff was shooting some B-roll of the truck. Holy crap that was cool! It was amazing seeing all that stuff in action. I was geeking out to say the least.

After the Cadets were on, I was able to sit in the stands and watch Phantom Regiments show. Wow. That is all I have to say. They sounded amazing. I was so proud of Bobby for all the hard work he is putting in, along with the rest of the kids in Phantom Regiment. They are looking to be going places this year.

After Phantom, I went back up into the press box to continue working. After twenty minutes, the show was done. It was nice not having to coil up hundreds of feet of cable. Nice change of pace.

Break-down wasn’t bad at all either. A bunch of the kids from the local high school band volunteered to help, so most of the loading was taken care of. Unfortunately though, we were one of the last ones to leave the stadium. We got back to the hotel around 1215, and decided to grab some food. We ended up going to Denny’s for the some night grub, which was a lot of fun. We got back to the hotel at 200, and I ended up passing out shortly after.

Today, Jeff and I have a flight out of Austin at 4:25, getting into Indianapolis at around 10:30 This is going to be a busy week, with three shows to go to in Indy, Fairfield, Ohio, and Muncie, Indiana. New blog post at the end of the week.

Leave a comment

Posted by on June 20, 2011 in DCI Internship


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: