Last Weekend of Freedom

05 Jul

The meat of the drum corps is upon us. From now on, it is 40-straight days of work for me. Starting in Denver this weekend, I will be travellling to Minneapolis, San Antonio, Murfressboro/Atlanta, and Allentown, before finishing up in Indiana for finals week, ending on August 14th.

This past weekend, you can say, was my last glimpse of freedom til the middle of August. And I made sure to take advantage of it.

It all started on Friday night. We were finally able to get all six interns together for dinner (except Sara had to leave a little early). We went to Buca di Beppo, a family-style Italian place. For the six of us, we got two large orders of fettucini alfredo and chicken parmesan, along with a small order of rigotoni. Man, there was so much food. I don’t know how, but we were able to finish it all.

On Saturday, we actually got to sleep-in for a change. Even though my body told me to wake up at 7:20 a.m., I hit my biological snooze button and slept until 11:30-ish. Then, it was the three-hour trip up to Michigan City, Indiana. It was cool driving through all of the wind farms. Seeing all of those windmills was trippy.

After losing a hour we didn’t know we were going to lose, we were able to get to Ames Field early enough to see some of the Cavaliers rehearsal. For their run-through, Jeff was able to put his GoPro camera on the tenors to film it. For those of you who didn’t know, half of the tenors play their solo upside down. Needless to say, we got some pretty awesome footage.

The show itself was “meh.” I got some footage of Legends on the field, and got interviews with their drum majors on how it felt being on the same field for Open Class finals. After that, I got some footage from the field of the corps performing. I don’t know whether it was from a little dehydration, or the massive amounts of speakers and the volume the corps were putting out, but my head was throbbing. After the show, i interviewed the Cavaliers drum majors, and got video of them saying “Happy 4th of July” and all that jazz. I never thought I would say this, but I was glad the show was done.

But, of course, that is when it got interesting.

The initial plan was to go to Chicago on Sunday for a game and enjoy the city. And since Michigan City was only an hour outside of Chicago, we would stay there then head over. But come to find out, every hotel between Michigan City and Chicago was booked. After some brainstorming and discussion, we just decided to head home. At around 12:15 am, after a pit stop at Buffalo Wild WIngs, we headed home.

It wasn’t until 4 a.m. until we got back to the apartment (because coming back, we gained an hour). After a quick change of clothes, I was out like a light.

I didn’t wake up until 2 p.m. the next afternoon. It was an awesome sleep. After laying around the house for a bit, James, David and I headed to Sara’s for a bar-b-que. After moving a hot tub (yes, a full-sized hot tub), watching the first Harry Potter and shooting some pool, we headed home.

Today, the 4th of July, we didn’t have any concrete plans. At 3:45 p.m., we headed into Indianapolis with the plan of mexican food and a baseball game. We thought there were standing room-only seats available for $9, but we didn’t know we would get them, so we went out on a limb (more to follow).

After parking, we walked around the city, exploring more of the city than we had before. We found this Mexican restaurant, Acapulco Joes, and got some dinner. After a couple Margaritas and chicken tenders, which I know aren’t mexican, but still were good, we walked to the stadium.

We got to the stadium around 5:15, with plenty of time to wait in line for standing room only tickets. But we thought, for fun, to approach a scalper for some tickets. He had second row seats for $30 (which were originally $15). David and I were able to talk him down to $20 for each ticket, which wasn’t bad at all. We discussed that a $20 second-row ticket was MUCH BETTER than a hypothetical $9 standing-room only ticket. After a quick trip to the ATM, we got some cash, got the tickets, and went into the stadium.

The game itself was boring. The Indianapolis Indians lost 2-1 to the Toldeo Mud Hens. The seat definitely made the game bearable though. We were in the shade the whole game, right down the line, and right in front of the bullpen. But the best perks of the night were after the game. The Indians had their own fireworks display after the game. They launched them off right in the outfield. Let’s just say we had one of the best seats in the house.

But wait, there was more. After the Indians fireworks, the city of Indianapolis had their own display. Two fireworks shows in one night. Pretty amazing. And even after the fireworks displays, the entertainment kept coming.

As usual, the traffic out of the city was a mess. But it lead to some good entertainment. There were people launching fireworks right from their cars in traffic, up into the air. After seeing a near-fight, a number of almost-accidents, and a boatload of laughs, we finally made it home safe and sound.

Sorry for such the long post. Couldn’t leave anything out. Hope you enjoyed!

This weeks schedule:

Akron, Ohio: 7/7 – 7/8

Denver, Colorado, 7/8-7/10.

More posts to follow.

Leave a comment

Posted by on July 5, 2011 in DCI Internship


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: